Hearty Asiago, Mushroom, and Bacon Crepe

1:52 PM



I've really been wanting to make crepes for a while now, and the desire for crepes has lead me to brainstorming ideas for fillings -- at this point I feel like I have a near-infinite list of yummy crepe ideas. If you're more of a fan of sweet crepes, I'll be back with more!

These crepes turned out to be a spur of the moment thing. Josh and I always have Flour around the house, so I immediately thought of pancakes! We had eggs, bacon, and all the fixings needed for a fabulous breakfast for lunch. Yes, I am a firm believer in breakfast for any meal of the day. But for some reason, the idea of maple syrup was really putting me off - I wanted something more savory. Voila, Crepes!

The recipes I have included for you are a 1.) basic crepe 2.) tasty morsels to fill it with. :)

Basic Savory Crepe

What You'll Need:
-2 Eggs
-1/2 Cup Milk
-1/2 Cup Water
-3 Tbsp Melted Butter
-1 Cup All Purpose Flour

1. Combine the eggs and flour, beat together while slowly adding in the melted butter, milk, and water. Beat together until a batter of a very smooth consistency has been reached.
2. Melt a small amount of butter, just enough to coat the base of a medium sized frying pan. Heat the butter of medium heat and add enough batter to make a nice round crepe, to whatever size you desire. 
3. Wait till the top of the crepe bubbles slightly, and flip once the underside has a golden-brown color. Do the same to the other side.

(I made my batter and set it aside in the fridge because it doesn't take much time for the crepes to cook. I cooked the crepes after sautéing the vegetables.)


What's inside....

What you'll need:
-1/2 Cup Cherry Tomatoes halved
-1/2 Sweet Onion sliced
-1 Cup Baby Spinach
-1 Cup Baby Bella Mushrooms sliced
-4 Strips Thick Cut Bacon sliced
-2 Cloves Garlic minced
-1 tsp Unsalted Butter
-1/4 Cup Milk
-3 Tbsp Porcini Mushrooms Sauce (we used Borgo de' Medici)
-1/2 tsp Balsamic Vinegar
-Pinch of Salt
-Pepper to taste

1. Melt butter in a large frying pan over medium-low heat, add the garlic and stir constantly until the garlic becomes fragrant. This really only takes a few seconds, once you smell the garlic add in the onions and stir everything together, coat the onions with butter. Cook, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes or until the onions look caramel in color. 
2. Add in the mushroom sauce, and milk, and balsamic vinegar, stir and bring to a boil. Then add the mushrooms and asiago cheese. Stir continually until the asiago cheese melts in with the sauce 
completely. 
3. In a separate pan, fry the bacon over medium heat until crispy. Cut into bite sized strips and set aside.
4. Add in the tomatoes, and stir frequently. Allow everything to simmer in the sauce for about 5 minutes, and add the spinach until wilted. 
5. At this point, I set my pan aside and fried up my crepes. If you have already made your crepes maybe heat them up or assemble them, and enjoy! 












Remember that it's important to prep all of the ingredients before you get to cooking. It'll make the whole process smooth, and easy. Less stress is always good! :)















Josh's crepe is on the left, mine on the right. We always have fun setting up our own plates. I think the visual does a lot for the over all appeal of a dish.



(Crepe Filling nutrition info on left, and the crepe itself on the right!)





You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Had your crepes for the first time this sunday. This was my first effort at crepes. Deelish! didnt have the mushroom sauce, but they were so tasty without. CHOICE!
    thanx CotWBY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear that you tried out the recipe!
      And the crepes worked out well for you!? The mushroom sauce is to die for, wish I could send it your way.
      Thanks for the feedback :)

      Delete